As a homeowner or renter, you are bound to run into pests like ants, cockroaches and rodents at some stage. But, don’t fear, there are plenty of proven methods of eliminating these little critters for good. Below are some tips and tricks to help you get started:
- A mixture of sugar and borax can help you keep ants away from your home. In a quart jar, mix borax and sugar (1 cup of each). Make some holes in the lid and distribute the mixture inside around the baseboards of your house and outside around the foundation. The sugar will attract the ants and the borax will poison them, thus getting rid of your problem.
- Borax is also poisonous to cockroaches. To get rid of them, sprinkle borax powder in bathroom and kitchen cabinets. Avoid areas where kids or pets can reach.
- If you’ve ever had fleas, you’ll know just how challenging it can be to eradicate them. Spraying your entire home with chemical is essential but before you do, vacuum carpets thoroughly and throw the dust bag out.
- Rodents can wreak havoc in your home and should be tended to promptly. You can use peanut butter or raw bacon as bait for a mousetrap. Tie bacon around the triggering device and leave peanut butter to harden a little, to make sure they won’t remove it without triggering the trap.
- The best way to steer clear from rodents is to prevent them from coming into your home in the first place. Rodents need less than 1cm of space to squeeze through so close these spaces with steelwool fragments mixed with spackling compound or rodent poison.
- If you live in an apartment building, getting rid of pests will be challenging and ultimately ineffective because pests travel from one apartment to another. The entire building should be treated to eliminate pests completely. The best way to do this is to get pest control specialists in Pretoria to exterminate the entire apartment block.
Speak to your landlord to arrange for fumigation sooner rather than later. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get rid of pests for good.